All good safaris have their own brand of morning muffin, and we are no different. Recently, we changed our offering on the morning muffin front and introduced the most amazingly delicious blueberry muffins.
If we are going to be dead honest (and you will read the recipe, so no avoiding the brutal truth!) these are not the healthiest muffin options out there, but they really are the most incredible treat to start your day off with.
The recipe is super easy to follow, and the fresh blueberries really give this muffin an amazing sour edge to the sweet cake, so do yourself a favour and next time you want to make pancakes for breakfast, rather give this recipe a try!
Makes: 12 Large Muffins
- 1½ cups cake flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, divided
- 2 large whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 ½ cup plain yoghurt
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180ᵒC.
- Lightly coat a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, Whisk 1 cup of blueberries, eggs, yoghurt, butter, milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla together until creamy.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour in the egg mixture.
- Gently fold to combine (be careful not to overmix).
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.
- Top with the remaining blueberries, gently pressing into the batter.
- Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with a little brown sugar.
- Bake for 18 – 20 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and rest for 5 minutes before turning out of the pan.