For those of you that know our wonderfully talented Chef Ryan you will be accustomed to his beautifully ornate and super delicious dishes. And, perhaps you have even pushed your own culinary boundaries by attempting one of his slightly more challenging recipes?
Well, the good news is that this month he has created something that almost anyone can make…an absolutely scrumptious courgette and spinach soup, fondly renamed a Summer Green Soup. Perfect, actually, for any season and can be enjoyed on the couch with a hot bread roll or served as a gorgeous dinner party starter. So, go on and give this easy recipe a try!
- 1 medium white onion
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium potato, peeled
- 6 baby courgettes
- 1 packet spinach
- 1 cup cream
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Roughly dice the onion and garlic.
- In a medium size sauce pan, sauté the onion and garlic with the butter until the onions are translucent in colour. Do not brown the onions and the garlic.
- Dice the potato and add to the sauteed onion.
- Cover the potatoes with 4 cups of cold water.
- Bring the water to the boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Simmer until the potatoes are soft.
- Roughly chop the baby courgettes and add to the pot.
- Cook for about 5 minutes or until the baby courgettes are slightly soft.
- Clean the spinach leaves off the stalks and wash in clean water until all the excess sand has been removed.
- Add the clean spinach leaves and the cream to the pot and stir.
- Remove the pot from the stove and blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Season to taste.
- Serve hot or chilled with roasted croutons and crumbled feta cheese.