There is fudge, and then there is fudge…and then there is Gerard’s unbelievable, life-changing golden blocks of absolute deliciousness!
We feel extremely fortunate that, in a moment of weakness, we managed to corner Gerard and persuade him to share his famous recipe with us. Thank you so much!
Sometimes, when we serve the fudge, we decide to be even naughtier and dip it in melted dark chocolate and sprinkle with Maldon Salt. Obviously, this is entirely at your discretion, but we do recommend you try it at least once. Enjoy!
- 250g Butter
- 1 Tin Condensed Milk
- 175ml Full Cream Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Golden Syrup
- 800g Castor Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Essence
- Place the ingredients (except the vanilla essence) into a heavy based saucepan.
- Slowly bring the mixture to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Once the mixture is boiling, cook until 116°C (or until the soft ball stage).
- Once the sugar mix reaches the soft ball stage, remove it from the heat and pour it into a stand mixer.
- Add the vanilla essence, and then whip at high speed for about 5–10 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Test by drawing a full figure 8 with the mixture (Sabayon test).
- Transfer to a square dish and set overnight.
- Cut into squares or rectangles and store in an airtight container.