Chef Ryan is always looking for some new festive season inspiration, even though we do serve a number of more traditional dishes associated with the holiday period he likes to try and keep things fresh and inspiring.
This year our kitchen maestro has come up with the perfect Christmas canape, although it really can be enjoyed at any time during the year. The gorgeous, decorative cucumber “Christmas trees” and the luxurious smoked salmon are what give this dish the real sense of celebration.
So, whether you decide to follow our lead and serve these delicious wontons as a canape at your festive party or keep the recipe for later in the year we do recommend you give them a try. They look absolutely stunning served at any occasion and are totally scrumptious.
- 100 g smoked salmon
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 clove fresh garlic, finely grated
- 1 spring onion
- 2 tbs cottage cheese
- 1fresh lime
- 1 packet pre-made Wonton pastry squares
- Finely dice the red onion and finely slice the spring onion.
- Dice the smoked salmon.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, fry the onions and spring onion in a little olive oil until they turn translucent in colour.
- Add the grated garlic and the smoked salmon and fry until the salmon has heated through.
- Remove from the heat and transfer the salmon into a mixing bowl.
- Add the cottage cheese and a squeeze of lime juice to the salmon mixture and stir.
- Season to taste.
- Cover the salmon mix with cling wrap and leave in the fridge to cool.
- Carefully peel the wonton pastry squares apart.
- Lay the wonton sheets out on a clean, dry work surface.
- Place a teaspoon of salmon mixture in the centre of the wonton.
- Wet the edges of the wonton with a little water to help stick the pastry together.
- Bring all the tips of the wonton pastry together and then pinch the sides to seal the salmon filling inside the wonton.
- Heat a pot of sunflower (or canola) oil to 180ᵒC.
- Gently drop in the wontons, a couple at a time, and fry them until they are golden brown.
- Once fried, drain on kitchen towel.
- Serve hot or cold with a sweet chilli dip.