It can be as simple or complicated as you would like it to be, but bread and butter is eaten across the globe in a variety of forms, flavours and fashions. We have kept our version as an achievable crowd pleaser.
There is something deeply satisfactory about making your own bread, such a simple task that is so incredibly rewarding. Add to that a homemade, flavoured butter and you cannot go wrong. Enjoy this simple and yet hugely satisfying recipe.
- 450 g strong white flour
- 2 tsp fine sea salt
- 50 g caster sugar
- 7 g dried active yeast
- 100 ml whole milk
- 4 eggs at room temperature, beaten, plus 1 for egg wash
- 190 g salted butter, cubed and softened
- Put the flour in a bowl of a stand mixerwith a dough hook. Add the salt to one side and sugar to the other. Pour in the yeast to the side with the sugar. Mix each side into the flour with your hands, then mix it all together with the dough hook.
- Heat the milk until warm to the touch, but not hot. Mix into the flour mix until combined. With the dough hook on medium, gradually add the eggs and mix for 10 mins.
- Gradually add the softened butter, one or two cubes at a time, until combined. This will take 5-8 mins. Scrape down the sides, the dough will be very soft.
- Scrape the dough into a large bowl, cover with a tea towel and leave for 1 hr 30 mins-2 hrs until doubled in size and well-risen. Once risen, put in the fridge for 1 hr.
How to Braid Bread (3 Strands)
This process is easy and if you’ve never made braided bread before, you will feel accomplished when you’re done. We found that 4 strands make a beautiful (and uncomplicated) braided bread.
- Cut dough into 3 equal pieces.
- Roll pieces into 18 to 20″ lengths and arrange vertically spaced out a few inches.
- Pinch the strips together at the top to seal. Cross the far-right strip over its neighbor.
- Tuck the far-left strip under its neighbor and over the next strip.
- Repeat until fully braided then pinch the ends together to keep them from unraveling.
- Dust a baking tray with flour let prove again for 30min
- Paint bread with egg wash before baking
- Bake at 180c for 30min or until bread sounds hollow with the tap of your finger
Sundried Tomato Butter
- 4 TBS sun dried tomatoesfinely chopped
- ½ cup butter soften at room temperature
- ¼ cup fresh herbs minced rosemary, parsley, thyme, basil
- ½ tsp sea salt optional if using salted butter
- 1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- other herbs to try! sage, dill, chives, tarragon, oregano, or green onions
- Leave the butter out at room temperature for a few hours to soften.
- Chop fresh herbs and sundried tomato until fine.
- Mix soft butter, ¼ cup finely chopped herbs and sundried tomatoes, ½ teaspoon sea salt and 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper, in a small bowl with a spatula.
- Place on plasticwrap in a log shape, roll and twist ends closed-keep in fridge or freeze for longer storage or place In piping bag and pipe desired shape.