Vegan brownie with ice cream
| From The Kitchen
In the early 90’s there were only a few million vegans throughout the world, today the number sits approximately around 900 million. That is absolutely astonishing! It is mainly thanks to the millennials for driving the trend of plant based eating, however is it far bigger than just one generation. From athletes to celebrities to entire companies, such as Google, are supporting the shift away from consuming animal products.
As we are so on trend at Tanda Tula, Chef Ryan has created some incredible vegan desserts for all our plant based guests. Even if you are a dairy lover this brownie and ice cream combo will almost convert you, it is defiantly worth giving it a try.
Ingredients for the brownie:
- 2 apples, peeled and cored
- 1 cup sunflower oil
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup dark chocolate buttons
- 1 cup macadamia nuts
- 1 cup of cocoa powder
- ½ cup cake flour
Ingredients for the ice cream:
- 2 bananas
- 1 tin drained chick pea brine
- 1 cup dark chocolate
- 2 cup almond milk
- ½ cup white sugar
Method for the chocolate brownie:
- Preheat the oven to 170ᵒC.
- In a food processor, blend the apples, sunflower oil and white sugar until smooth.
- Add the dark chocolate and macadamia nuts and blend until the nuts have been broken down into little bits.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a bowl.
- Pour the apple mixture into the flour and mix well.
- Transfer the batter into a greased bread loaf tin and bake for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, test the top of the brownies by pressing down gently on the crust. If the crust feels springy then remove the brownie from the oven and set aside to cool. If the crust still feels to liquid, bake for a further 5 -10 minutes.
- Allow the brownie to cool completely before removing it from the loaf tin.
Method for the ice cream:
- Place the bananas in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Melt the chocolate over a double boiler and then add to the bananas and blend again until smooth.
- Add the almond milk and blend well.
- In a separate bowl, whip the chickpea brine with an electric hand beater until soft peaks form.
- Slowly add the white sugar whilst beating continuously.
- Add the banana and chocolate mixture to the beaten chickpea brine and fold gently until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and freeze overnight.
- Take the ice cream out of the freezer 15 minutes before serving to make it easier to scoop.
- Place a slice of brownie on the plate and sprinkle some crushed almonds on the one top corner.
- Place a scoop of ice cream on the crushed almonds and garnish with fresh strawberries.