Tanda Tula Blog
Our Curio Shop
At Tanda Tula we have a small Curiosity Shop that is brimming with unique, beautiful handcrafted items. We take pride in sourcing our stock from local artisans, micro enterprises and organisations that support important causes. When you make a purchase at the Tanda Tula Curio Shop not only will you take home a special piece of Africa, you will have the satisfaction of knowing that your support will make a difference to the well being of our community.
Here are some of the treasures you will find in store and the people and causes they support:
- Hand embroidered table runner by Melina, one of our wonderful staff members
- Kaross embroidery: pillow cases, wall hangings, table runners and bags made by the ladies of our local Shangaan tribe. This initiative provides a livelihood for over a thousand women in our province of Limpopo.
- Handcrafted pewter pieces, including these pewter adorned boxes by a local artisan near Hoedspruit.
- Original bead work by our reservationist and budding jewelry designer Dolphin
- Monkey Apples: locally farmed and turned into décor pieces through a year long process
- Details of Africa: local artist Warren Cary celebrates the small things through his art now adorning Tanda Tula T-shirts
- Godding and Godding: local Hoedspruit company using silk to create fine scarves, pashminas and a line of Boabab and Marula silk based creams and lotions.
- Our Tanda Tula water bottles help reduce the use of plastics in our camp while supporting Spring of Hope which provides clean drinking water for rural schools, and Save the Elephants doing important research on elephant migration patterns.
View a few of our items here: