Here are ten surprising facts about the Cape buffalo, according to Animal Planet who asked South African conservationist Lindsay Hunt.
10. ”Twins are very rare — the only recorded twin birth where both calves survived occurred at Hunt Africa.”
9. ”White calves are also very rare — one has been born on Hunt Africa.”
8. ”Buffalo are reported to kill more hunters in Africa than any other animal. They are known to ambush hunters that have wounded or injured them.”
7. ”Buffalo are capable swimmers and often cross deep water in search of better grazing.”
6. ”The hide on a bull buffalo’s neck is as thick as 2 inches in places, which protects it during battles with other bulls for dominance.”
5. ”Buffalo have smooth tongues — the old lore that their tongues can lick the skin off a man is nonsense.”
4. ”The adage an elephant never forgets would be matched by a buffalo never forgives. They have been known to attack people that have harmed them even years after the event.
3. ”A buffalo has four times the strength of an ox, according to research by Dr. John Conde — he tested their pulling strength. This explains why they are able to tip a motorcar.”
2. ”Cape buffalo are known to kill lions, and can seek out and kill lion cubs — preventative punishment.”
1. ”Cape buffalo have exceptional memories. I have often been approached by buffalo that I have not seen for many years, which are tactile and demand affection.”
We often see large herds of Buffalo in and around camp, especially in winter when water is a little more scarce. Seeing large herds of 500 plus is not uncommon in our area, and always a treat to see.